Friday, January 22, 2010

My first post, my first experience

Time for the first post

I have heard many, many good things about Ruby on Rails framework so I decided to give it a try. I have no background in any programming language so it my be a little bit tough but I believe that there is nothing I can't do ;).

I will try to share with my feelings on all the things I am learning. I will also ask some questions (might be trivial but hey ... no one is perfect) and if you are willing to spare me some time than please do! It might soothe the harshness of learning process.

Cutting to the chase...

I straightly started to learn Ruby on Rails, which for the guy with my experience in programming wasn't very good move. After writing (rewriting) code from a book few times I thought: "Hey...I do not understand what is going on; this book is stupid. It gives to few explanations on what is going on in the code." After few similar opinions about other books I had to revise (and I think apologize the authors) that thought. It was my fault. The first bad decision was to omit learning Ruby in the first place. I am not discovering anything new - It is RUBY ON rails, and Ruby is essential part of the framework.
Few days later I had some general understanding of programming in Ruby: its syntax, main elements, etc. In fact I have finished learning Ruby yesterday so I am going back to Rails.

The book I am reading now is "Foundation Rails 2." It was recommended on few sites and the level which the book is intended for is beginner. We will see if it helps me or not.


So have hope and bare with me! (and help me!)

The one last thing I want to say to all beginners like me. Always check the version of Rails that the book was written for. You will avoid a lot of situations where something is not working. As I already noticed Ruby on Rails is a framework that is constantly developing so newer versions may approach some of the things in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment